At this time, most web browsers mark websites that use HTTP as “Not secure”. This is done so that users know that any intermediary can alter the web page they are viewing.
If a site is insecure, any intermediary can see / manipulate the confidential information that you enter. To deal with security-related issues, technology companies like Google, Microsoft, etc., were now pushing DNS over HTTPS in their web applications and services.
Essentially, DNS over HTTPS is a security protocol that forces your system to make a secure and encrypted connection to your DNS server. Before Windows 11, users must manually enable the DNS over HTTPS feature in their web browser.
However, in Windows 11, you get a system-wide DNS over HTTPS. That simply means that if you turn on DNS over HTTPS on your Windows 11, all of your applications and programs will use DoH to communicate with DNS.
Also read: How to configure a metered connection in Windows 11
Steps to enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11
So in this article, we will share a step-by-step guide on how to enable DNS over HTTPS in Windows 11. Let’s take a look.
1. First, click on the Windows 11 Start menu and select Settings.
2. On the Settings page, click the Network and Internet option.
3. Then click the WiFi or Ethernet depending on your internet connection in the right pane.
4. Now scroll down and click on the Edit button behind DNS server mapping.
5. In the first drop-down menu, choose Handbook and turn on IPv4 option.
6. Now, in the preferred and alternate DNS, enter the DNS server of your choice. I have used Google’s DNS server, so I have set 220.127.116.11 as the preferred DNS and 18.104.22.168 as the alternate DNS.
7. Now under Preferred DNS Encryption, select Encryption only (DNS over HTTPS).
8. After making the changes, click the Save money button.
That is all! Are you ready. This will enable DNS over HTTPS on your Windows 11 PC.
So, this guide is about how to enable DNS over HTTPS on your Windows 11 PC. Hope this article helped you! Share it with your friends too. If you have any questions related to this, please let us know in the comment box below.