Art is delightful and gratifying. In recent times, with the many powerful advancements in technology, designers are able to create outstanding visual images using their computers and other digitally smart devices. The best free drawing software for Windows offers a pragmatic simulation of colors, textures, effects, and tools to work seamlessly in three dimensions, with direct control over virtual brushes and pens.
Drawing apps for PC allow users to create a realistic piece of art with an extensive variety of built-in tools, effects, and colors, which can be exported into multiple file formats. Many of the best drawing software are pretty expensive though.
But, if you are looking for options that would cost you nothing, your search ends here. This article brings some of the best drawing software available in the market today along with their features, that are highly competitive and appealing.
List Of 13 Best Free Drawing Software In 2021
Below are some of the most impressive options for drawing software available in the current marketplace. Let’s scroll through the list!
Compatibility:- GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows
GIMP is a powerful and flexible open-source image editor tool. Its professional-quality features allow the user to easily fine-tune their illustration or create an image from scratch, making it the best free drawing software. With practice, it can certainly work like Photoshop.
GIMP provides top-notch tools for high-quality image manipulation such as automatic image enhancement, color adjustment, customizable brushes, cloning, filters, and much more. GIMP allows easy integration with several programming languages such as Python, Perl, Scheme, etc. Its highly customizable UI gives artists the power and flexibility to create their unique designs.
Notable Offerings of GIMP
- The software can be easily customized according to the requirements
- Unlike other software, you can manipulate the photos in high quality
- It also has graphic design elements
- The software lets you create mockups for re-use
- Professional features for image editing like the smudge tool, dodge and burn tool, fuzzy select tool, healing brush, etc.
- High customization.
- Offers extensibility with custom plugins.
- PSD support.
- Supports loading and saving of virtual files.
- The UI is overwhelming for new users.
Compatibility:- macOS, Linux, Windows
Krita is fast, flexible, and the best free drawing software for Windows. Its pro-level set of tools provides an innovative solution to both amateur and professional artists. Krita is one of the best drawing apps for PC with powerful 2D and 3D animation.
Krita has a highly intuitive interface that allows designers to create a customized layout. In addition, Krita comes with many advanced features for image editing like the brush stabilizers, drawing assistants, professional effects, vector tools, smooth layer management, mirroring tools, etc.
Krita is an extraordinary computer drawing program that makes the process of creating digital drawings very realistic. The Resource manager lets artists share brush and texture packs and expand their toolset.
Also Read: Reinstall and Restore Sound Driver on Windows 10
Notable Offerings of Krita
- Using the software you can easily import brush packs and texture from anywhere, you can even export them to other artists
- It offers a handy wrap-around mode to help users easily create textures and patterns
- The software has 9 brush engines that can be customized and changed according to the requirements
- For all the users who has shaky hand, this software offers brush stabilizer that can help you work easily
- Intelligent and unique 9 brush engines.
- High customization.
- PSD files support.
- Skilled Wrap-around mode.
- HDR image Support.
- Enhanced OpenGL provides increased canvas size and speed.
- Cumbersome text tool.
- May experience a few lags after updating.
Price:- Free and Open-Source
Compatibility:- Linux, macOS, Windows
Inkscape is the best free drawing software for graphic designers created by a team of very talented artists and enthusiasts. This free drawing software for Windows is loaded with outstanding features and excellent tools, making it a powerful alternative to premium tools like Adobe Illustrator.
Inkscape comes with a simple and customizable interface, easy node editing, well-designed vector editing tools, and filters, advanced effects, Creative Commons metadata, generous export options, wide range of snapping tools, etc. for rich image creation experience. It is especially useful in cases when there are hundreds of different pictures on the webpage.
Notable Features of Inkscape
- You can easily import or export in various file formats as the software is compatible with most of the file extensions
- The software has flexible drawing and text tools to make your work easy
- You get shape, drawing, objection creation, pencil, pen, and calligraphy tools
- The software is even compatible with path insetting and outsetting
- Vast range of vector managing tools.
- Multiple file formats support.
- Optimized speed
- Great International community.
- Unsuitable for highly experienced designers.
- Cluttered Interface.
- Text tools lack flexibility.
Price:- After Free Trial, $49.99
Compatibility:- Windows, Android, Chromebook, macOS, iOS
Clip Studio Paint is amongst the best free drawing software with professional-level features. This drawing app is widely used for animation, illustration, and comic creation owing to its impressive features, advanced capabilities, and enhanced flexibility. Clip Studio comes with powerful vector tools and an extensive array of coloring tools that give superior responsiveness when it comes to creating artwork.
Clip Studio Paint gives you the freedom to choose from multiple preset brush options or create and use your customized brushes to accomplish a certain effect in your illustration.
The latest version of Clip Studio comes with excellent animation capabilities and supports all major file formats, making it one of the good drawing apps for PC.
Read More: Best Duplicate Photo Finder & Cleaner Software
Key Features of Clip Studio Paint
- The software is very easy to use with its simple and clean interface
- If you face any issue with the software then you can simply check the website and learn every aspect
- You can easily customize brushes according to your needs
- The software lets you create concept art/ painting/ character art/ illustration and animation
- Powerful vector tools.
- Highly customizable brushes.
- Excellent coloring options.
- Massive user base and community.
- Animation with no audio support.
- Confusing Interface.
- Text tools lack versatility.
Compatibility:- Linux, Windows 10 or above, macOS
MyPaint is a free and stable open-source graphic editor, mostly used by digital painters. It is an easy-to-use, lightweight, and productive tool with a focus on painting and one of the best drawing apps for PC.
MyPaint is one of the best free drawing software with a highly configurable and versatile brush engine, smooth brush flow, unlimited canvas size, distraction-free Fullscreen mode, and many more. It supports pressure-sensitive drawing, layer management, and basic color adjustments.
It is easy to create an expressive artwork with MyPaint as it emulates the effects of pencils, paints, ink, and charcoal.
Additionally, MyPaint has an interesting tool called Notepad, where you can try different brushes before actually using them to paint.
Key Features of MyPaint
- MyPaint has a full-screen view which allows you to view even the minute elements
- It offers a huge list of painting tools that can help you in creating your art
- You can easily add shortcuts to enhance the workflow
- Using the software you can create whichever art you want as you get infinite canvas size
- Gamut masking coloring wheel.
- Dynamic brush library.
- Infinite canvas size.
- Simple and user-friendly interface.
- Slow Undo function.
- No animation tools.
Compatibility:- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
MediBang Paint Pro is one of the good drawing programs that are appealing and ingenious to create comics, manga, and digital art with a realistic presentation. Like other computer drawing programs, it comes loaded with features like great layer management, smooth workflow, easy comic panel, good community support, etc.
MediBang Paint has a library with over 800 pre-installed backgrounds and templates, wide variety of customizable brushes, multiple fonts and styles to choose from to create an illustration as per your imagination.
MediBang Paint has a built-in tool to upload your artwork on the cloud for free, thus saving space on your device and transferring your art between different devices effortlessly.
Read More: Best Free Animation Software Programs For Windows
Key Features of MediBang Paint
- It lets you work on multiple pages and save them all in one place
- You can easily add the files from other applications and devices
- You get a stabilization tool to draw with your shaky hands
- You get access to perspective grids for creating clean backgrounds
- Simple Interface.
- PSD file support.
- Versatile brush presets.
- Supports multiple platforms.
- Distracting ads pop-up when the app starts.
Compatibility:- Windows 10
Paint 3D is a free computer drawing program that comes by default with a Windows 10 system. Paint 3D is an easy, kid-friendly software from Microsoft. It enables creating a three- dimensional object and adding animation to it with ease.
With 3D object creation in Microsoft Paint 3D, you can either choose a model to import from the displayed options or draw your own shape and turn it into a 3D model. The 3D model can be rotated with precision and adding animations to it is very straightforward. Paint 3D allows adding a finish and lighting effects to the created 3D image. These 3D images can be easily used with other Microsoft Office apps like Word, PowerPoint, and the like.
Key Features of Microsoft Paint 3D
- The new update brings more security to the user’s data
- Using the new tube brush you can create short dollops and ribbons
- Easily select the shape that you wish to create
- You can easily copy your 3D model and paste them into any Microsoft Office app
- Variety of paint effects.
- Easy 3D image editing.
- Kid-friendly software.
- Standard picture editing tools missing.
ArtWeaver is one of those computer drawing programs that have a close similarity to Photoshop. It has creative built-in editors that enable efficient photo-editing.
ArtWeaver is a full-featured tool with a wide range of realistic brushes, user-friendly interface, additional editing filters, and great ability to work with layers. This free drawing software comes with a feature to draw textures to create beautiful digital artwork.
ArtWeaver is among useful and easy drawing apps suitable for kids as it has a highly configurable brush editor. Additionally, it allows working together as a team with other artists over the internet.
Notable Features of ArtWeaver Free
- Using this software you can easily work with other artists on the same project
- It offers very easy to use tools to create your favorite artwork
- You get seamless editing and painting experience with its powerful tools
- It has many realistic brushes that you can use
- Ultra-realistic effects.
- Configurable brush editor.
- Creative editing tools.
- Kid-friendly software.
- Intuitive interface.
- Lesser text features in comparison to others.
Vectr is one of the best free drawing software for Windows for creating cards, logos, icons, brochures, and other digital illustrations with fewer details. It is a vector-based tool with a comprehensive toolset for image editing, built-in version control, real-time collaboration and sharing of designs, and a clean interface.
Vectr comes with great tools for applying layers on the image, modifying the shape and color of the image, exporting and printing of images without compromising on quality, and sharing artwork on social media apps like Twitter, Facebook, etc.
Vectr can be used online or on your desktop across multiple platforms. It is a well-designed app with many free tutorials making it easier to learn and use.
Read More: Best Driver Updater Tools
Key Features of Vectr
- It is a very easy to use software that takes no time to adapt
- The pen tool is one of the tools which make Vectr better than other competitors. Using the tool you can easily draw and write
- You can find gradient tools in the software which helps in manipulating colors and vectors
- For any assistance, it has tutorial videos that you can watch and learn
- Built-in version control.
- Printing made easy.
- Social media access.
- Collaboration and sharing of graphics.
- Great tutorials.
- The presence of ads slows down the working speed.
- Suitable only for simple graphic projects.
10. Expression Design
Microsoft Expression Design is a professional-level graphics editing software built for creating web-based graphics, UIs, and other vector graphics with fewer visual effects. It is a lightweight and easy to use tool with an option to create a personalized workplace for future use. It comes with powerful composing tools like B-Spline with full curve control, Slice tool to select and hide parts of an image, and full layer support to slice and blend images.
Expression Design has plenty of basic image editing options for creative developers and supports a variety of file formats including bitmap export option.
- Super preview tool to see the website in multiple browsers simultaneously.
- Bitmap export.
- Powerful composing tools like B-Spline, Bezier, etc.
- Lacks advanced image editing features.
Compatibility:- Windows, iPad, macOS
Paintstorm Studio is one of the professional level drawing apps for PC that brings powerful features to create excellent artwork effortlessly. It is a good drawing software for Windows with advanced symmetry tools, a dynamic interface, and completely customizable brushes to play with.
A free trial version of Paintstorm Studio is available in which you can launch the app 30 times before it expires. Furthermore, Paintstorm Studio can be purchased for a lifetime license for just $19.00.
Notable Features of Paintstorm Studio
- The software offers bristle brushes for every need and requirement
- The brushes offered are fully customizable as per needs
- It has a dynamic interface where you get to each and every tool easily
- You can easily work on various layers
- Dynamic interface.
- Advanced symmetry tools.
Price:- Free, $85/ year
Compatibility:- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
Autodesk Sketchbook is the next drawing software that can be used for creating amazing art/ drawings. The software offers a beautiful interface that offers the user enough space for creating their artwork. Irrespective of the device the user has it offers a great space to work. It can be the ideal software for product designers, automobile designers, architects, and industrial designers.
Using the software one can even refine their sketches to an illustrated art. Other than this the user can use the camera to scan, sketch and import files.
Notable Features of SketchBook
- The software supports various types of files formats including JPG, BMP, TIFF and BMP
- You can use this software in various platforms as it has cross-platform compatibility
- It offers more than 190 customizable brushes
- While you draw or paint the software predicts the future move which save a lot of time
- Loads of brushes
- Multiple layers can be added
- Large working space in every device
- Compatible with almost every device
- Not an ideal software for beginners
- Subscription for the enterprise license
Price:- Free, $25
Compatibility:- Windows, macOS, Android, iOS
Next on the list of animation software, we have Mischief. The software offers a similar experience as you are using a real pencil. It moreover offers an infinite zoom and infinite canvas feature too. All the users using tablets can use this amazing app to create realistic artworks and export them into various formats. The user can export the files in PNG, JPG, or PSG format.
- Dock the brushes as per need
- Infinite canvas and zoom feature
- Infinite Undo and redo option
- The user can even control the transparency of the canvas
- Free to use software
- The free version offers limited features
Unleash your Creativity via Best Free Drawing Software for Windows in 2021
Nowadays, interesting digital illustrations can be created efficiently using drawing apps for PC. This article gives you a list of the best free drawing software that we found to be appealing. There is no clear winner as such because each app has different features and tools for digital painting and image editing to create powerful artwork according to your style and requirement.
Lastly, subscribe now to our Newsletter to stay updated and informed about every piece of the technical realm. And, let us know your views on this through the comment box below!